HELL for everyone involved?
He's been getting haircuts now since he was 13 mos old. The one previous to this was with Chris-so HE could get a taste of what I'm always telling him about. To sum it up..BAD time. C. even had to bribe with McD's for dinner (purely a mark of desparation). Logan nibbled at that offer and they got through it and had McD's, Dad got to put 'check in the box' that he had a haircut done on this watch, and I was spared once.
Flash forward to last weekend... C notices that L's getting shaggy & needs a new cut. I deny, saying "we just have to comb better". But we both know what's underlying ..PURE FEAR. I silently agree whole heartedly. Full of determination, I'm ready to take on the haircut after school pick-up @ our usual place. I have a pack of 20 M&Ms with which to bribe/distract. I call for our appt in the late afternoon and get us in. [I don't want them dreading all day that they're going to withstand the experience & it's not that busy anyway.]
I drive away from school saying "we're going to go get Logan's haircut." Whining & protests escalate as we roll into the parking lot and get out of the car. We sit and watch previous customer finish. Logan makes one break for the door but he doesn't leave b/c I allow him to start on his M&Ms. Ok, our turn. He turns to me and says "is it your turn, Mommy?" UH, yeah you could say that. We proceed to the chair. (He's always in parent's lap for these & we both end up hairy). I tell Tina to 'please use scissors only- no clippers'. That is what freaks him out the most- the buzzing of the clippers. So she wets his head with a spray bottle. He's not crazy about it, but whatever. He's not crying nor clawing up my body and that is all that counts. She covers me with a cape as he won't go for it.T. starts cutting. He's munching away on M&Ms and then moves into the lollipop she gave him. Still not crying. WHA??? I just look at her and whisper 'WOW. Just keep going.' He then even cares enough to look in the mirror and smile. HUH? He did scowl at her with the amount of hair on his pants and said "you got my pants dirty!!!" And then, after quick shape-up with clippers he actually thinks tickles him (!!??) we were DONE. To this day, I still get tear-y thinking how I felt at that moment. Both Tina and I were SHOCKED. I also didn't feel the need to tip her 100% this time like I've done in the past, just to make it worth their while and $ well earned.
L thanked her (loud enough to be heard) and said "see you next time!" I thanked her (and him) PROFUSELY and couldn't wait to tell C. Who was also very proud of him and thrilled we didn't have to have McDs for dinner. Picture from that night, post-tub and with HUGE smile, is attached.





1 comment:
so cute. little L is getting big!
Post a Comment