While lounging around deciding what Austin and I would do last Friday, I won tickets that morning on the radio to the Washington DC Metropolitan Cooking and Entertaining show for Saturday. In particular, the tickets were to the Paula Dean portion of the expo. For the un-enlightened, Paula's of Food Network fame (and spokesperson for Smithfield hams/sausages, etc..).


There were 3 Food Network stars doing little shows there and I won the show for Paula by being the 9th caller and correctly answering 3 questions about her. I've never gotten through before on the radio, though I've never tried too hard, either. This time, I was only really half-heartedly hitting redial every 30 seconds, more actively engaged in Austin's needs. Amazed they actually answered the phone, I was caller #10 but if caller #9 flubbed up the questions, I got my 15 seconds of fame. Well, the questions were CAKE (ie, easy) - granted, we watch about as much Food Network in our house as we do ESPN (that is a ton). So they were a snap for me and luckily caller #9 was ill informed or a Food Network novice.
Questions-
City where her restaurant is (Savannah), names of her 2 sons (Jamie & Bobby), & favorite cooking ingredient (BUTTER!)
Friend LG went with me to the show- Chris would've loved to have gone but we weren't about to bring the boys. Show was ok (kind of hokey). I was glad to have won the tix and not paid for it, but it was still a trip. Seats were not bad at all. It is scary how many Paula stalkers live here in Washington- those who went up to the microphone and raved about how much they love her and ask her questions.
LG laughed about how it's about time I went back to work, since now I'm spending my time calling in to radio shows. Yes, I guess that is right, though still will savor every minute of the next 5 weeks. Radio contest free weeks, that is.
The other 2 Food Network family members there were Giada (De Laurentis) and Bobby (Flay). I caught a glimpse of Giada from a distance, she was doing a book signing and Bobby was going to be there the next day (Sunday) but not there Saturday. Too bad, C & I LOVE him. I have searched high and low for a shirt with "Are you ready for a throwdown?" (for Bobby's show) but can't find, would make funny stocking stuffer for Chris. Regrettably, he's not as into the shirt idea as I am.





No comments:
Post a Comment